Homeopathy Facts and myth
Is Homeopathy Slow Acting?
The pace of action of homeopathic medicines depends upon many factors, like:
- If the disease is of recent origin like acute cases of infections, fever, cold etc, the cure is achieved within a short period, provided the selection of the homeopathic medicine is correct.
- In the long standing cases, it takes more time to achieve complete cure. Most people take recourse to homeopathy in chronic conditions, e.g., arthritis, asthma, psoriasis, eczema, etc, which take a long time to treat with any system of medicine.
- Homeopathic medicine, if correctly chosen, will never relieve the problem temporarily, rather it will eradicate the disease permanently and completely, for which it is quite natural that more time may be required.
Are same white pills given to all patients?
- Homeopathic medicines are initially prepared in dilution.
- The sugar of milk (powder) and the pills are the media for dispensing the homeopathic medicine by putting a few drops of the medicine in them.
- There pills are only the vehicles to carry the actual medicine.
- Even through the contents (pills or power) of different phials look alike, the medicines in those phials vary from one another.
Does Homeopathy first intensify then cure?
No, in most cases, it doesn’t. However, after taking homeopathic medicines, the patient’s complaint sometimes may aggravate in certain rare conditions like:
- Firstly, if the patient has taken non- homeopathic medicines (prior to the administration of homeopathic medicines), then those medicines might have suppressed the ailments. After application of homeopathic medicines, some of those suppressed complaints may reappear. In such case, the patient blames homeopathy for such aggravation, which is not a fact.
Is it true that tea, onion, garlic etc. are prohibited during Homeopathic treatment?
- It is not true, onion, garlic, tea, coffee, paan, alcohol, tobacco, perfumes etc, will not negate the effect of all homeopathic medicines.
- As per literature, there are certain substances which interfere with the action of a few homeopathic medicines. For example, tea and raw onion diminish the action of a homeopathic drug, Thuja occ, and use of camphor is contra-indicated while using most of the homeopathic medicines.
- Those substances which have neutralizing effects on the specific homeopathic medicines on the specific homeopathic medicines should preferably be avoided while using those medicines.
- It is an established fact that the homeopathic medicines act better in persons who are not addicted to habits like smoking, drinking, or tobacco-chewing.
- Homeopathic medicines should be taken on clean tongue and intake of any strong-smelling substance should not be taken within half an hour before and after the administration of medicine.
Can diabetes patient take homeopathic pills?
- Yes, diabetics can take these pills since the amount of sugar in the homeopathically medicated globules is negligible.
- In severely affected diabetics, or for a long homeopathic treatment of diabetics, the homeopathic medicines can be given in distilled water also.
Can Homeopathic medicines be taken along with Allopathic (conventional) medicines?
- Nothing of medicinal nature is permissible while taking homoeopathic medicines. But in many cases, it is observed that certain patients after continuing allopathic medicines for a long time, become drug-dependant. When they give up those medicines abruptly and resort to homeopathic medicines alone, there are chances of adverse reactions. This happens usually in patients mellitus, Hypertension, Bronchial, asthma, Epilepsy, etc.
- Instead of withdrawing the allopathic medicines suddenly, the doses of allopathic or any other medicine can be gradually tapered, along with appropriate administration of homeopathic medicines. In doing, so, the treatment of the patient may eventually be limited to homeopathic medicines alone ultimately.
Can a patient under Homeopathy treatment take allopathic medicines in emergency?
- If a patient on homeopathic treatment develops certain emergency condition which warrants immediate attention and is not controllable by the homeopathic medicines, then he can take allopathic medicines.
- Once such emergency situation is controlled, he can resume homeopathic treatment.
Can a Homeopathy treat anything and everything?
- Like any other system of medicine, Homeopathy has its own scopes and limitation. With homeopathy any ailment, acute or chronic, local or general .can be treated expect disease where surgery is absolutely necessary.
- However , there are many pseudo- surgical disease which can be treated with Homeopathy ,like enlarged tonsils, nasal polyps, kidney stones, warts, piles, anal fissure and fistula, tumor of uterus, Ovary ,breast.
Can a patient under homeopathic treatment take allopathic (conventional) medicines in emergency?
- If a patient on homeopathic treatment develops certain emergency condition which warrants immediate attention and is not controllable by the homeopathic medicines, then he can take allopathic medicines
- Once such emergency situation controlled, he can resume homeopathic treatment.
Are there any adverse side effects from homeopathy medicines?
- Homeopathic medicines have no adverse side effects. The ‘side effects’ of a medicine relates to modern pharmacology, where the drugs aim at certain target organ or system. Through they have a primary area of action, they may adversely affect other area of the body. If these other effects are undesirable, they are known as adverse side effects. for example, streptomycin, an excellent anti-tubercular drugs, has been known to cause deafness. Here deafness us an adverse side effect of streptomycin.
- Homeopathic medicines are not employed against one particular area or organ or system of the body. These are chosen on the basis of the totality of symptoms of the patient and so target the patient as a whole. Therefore, no adverse effects occur under homeopathic treatment.
Do Homeopathic medicines have any expiry periods?
- There are no expiry dates for homeopathic medicines, yet the medicated globules may be rejected when their white color changes. If the medicine is in liquid form, then a change in its color or appearance of some sediment in the liquid form, then it is time for discarding the medicine.
- Freshly medicated homeopathic pills have smell of alcohol which gradually diminishes with passage of time, but some patients attribute it to be diminution of their efficacy and don’t like to continue those odorless or dried pills. This is a wrong notion, because the quality of the medicines remains unaltered in the pills, even if the alcohol content evaporates.
- It is advisable to store homeopathic medicines in a dry, cool place and away from direct sunlight to keep them from the strong smelling substances like perfumes, onion, garlic etc.
Homeopathic medicine can be given to all age groups, right from infants to the elderly.
- Being palatable, the patients of all age groups, ranging from intents to the very old can be given these medicines.
- Homeopathic medicines have no side effects
- They are cost-effective and can afford by the poorest of poor.
- Administration of medicine is very simple.
- Medicines can be selected on the basis of symptoms and signs of the patient alone, without waiting for the results of laboratory.
What are the limitations of homeopathy?
- Homeopathy has a limited scope in the following cases:
- Cases with irreversible or advanced organic changes, e.g., complete optic atrophy, advanced pulmonary tuberculosis etc.
- Artificial chronic disease resulting from long continued use of large or heavy doses of allopathic medicines.
- In cases where surgery is unavoidable e.g., congenital defects such as Cleft palate, Mitral stenosis etc.
I have never tried Homeopathy. Can I start using it now?
- There is absolutely no age limit for taking a wise decision. The same goes for taking your first step towards Homeopathy, no matter the age or past medical record, Homeopathy has got something to offer to every ailing being. See you’re nearest qualified homeopathic doctor today and know more about this wonderful medical science!